If you are not currently logged into ASCE, you will be asked to log in or create an ASCE account.
Save over 20% when you purchase this course through the Port Engineering Certificate Program
2.4 CEUs / 24 PDHs
Member $1545 | Non-member $1895
Antoine Chemali, MS, P.E., CCM
Purpose & background
The main objective of this course is to introduce young professionals to the construction practices used widely for ports and harbors. The course will explore the real-life major construction challenges and the practical management techniques to deliver projects from the initial planning stage through construction closeout and maintenance for all types of port terminal facilities to include automated container terminals and the challenges in working around active terminals. The knowledge gained from this course will enhance the practitioners' credentials in managing the process of capital improvements projects for the ports and harbors practices.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the critical port facilities needed to support efficient operations, and the economic contributions of ports on national, reginal, and local economies.
- Explain the unique challenges associated with construction of new port facilities and challenges in working around active terminals.
- List the required project permits from federal, state, and local agencies.
- Explain the process of Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) delivery.
- List various design and construction element requirements and associated risks.
- Identify the construction management techniques (quality/ schedule/ budget).
- Explain maintenance requirements and budgets.
- Identify the basic elements of a hydrographic survey, GPS positioning, measurement of depth, tidal corrections, and the use of surveys to measure progress and ensure quality performance.
- Explain the new trend of automated container terminals and the challenges associated with operations.
Who should attend?
- Port project and construction managers/consultants
- Port tenants/operators
- Port staff
- Other construction service providers