Los Angeles Section

Los Angeles Section

 View Only
  • 1.  Private Residence Structural issues

    Posted 07-17-2017 02:19 PM
    I have recently been asked by a couple of my neighbors, knowledgeable of my line of work as a registered CE, about who they can turn to for structural assessment of their respective homes.  We live on a solid but very precarious ridgeline that 'encouraged' multi-level home construction due to the geology, and affords us nice views of LA and Orange County.  However, because of this, we pay a price for limited home improvement projects the city allows us to undertake, not to mention the age of our neighborhood (construction of most of homes took place in the 1920's and 30's before much of the City's construction codes took effect).  My most recent inquiry relates to California Earthquake Authority and "Quake Retrofits".  For those who have earthquake insurance, insurance carriers are offering discounts on premiums if a home-owner performs inspection and assessment (and completes subsequent structural modifications, I would imagine) by a structural engineer.  Although this probably wouldn't be lucrative for large firms to undertake, I would think it could be a good niche for a very small structural firm because of the attention on the potential "big one" to hit southern CA very soon.  Does anyone have knowledge of a small-business enterprise (SBE or VSBE) CE that performs private residence inspections specifically for this purpose, or may be interested in doing such inspections?

    Charles Marr P.E., M.ASCE
    Whittier CA

  • 2.  RE: Private Residence Structural issues

    Posted 07-18-2017 01:02 AM
    I used Andrew Randolph to do my structural seismic calcs for a second story addition i undertook. He is an RCE who does residential structural work. I was very impressed with his work. He can be reached at andrew.randolph@....
    (559) 553-0337. He works in Visalia CA. He may be do the work you mentioned or know of someone who does.

    Mark Dawson, PE
    Arvin-Edison Water Storage District
    20401 Bear Mountain Blvd.
    P.O. Box 175
    Arvin, CA 93203-0175

  • 3.  RE: Private Residence Structural issues

    Posted 07-18-2017 07:10 PM
    Please contact me through email or phone number. I can help you. 

    Sayed Attaalla P.E., S.E., M.ASCE
    Peter T. Erdelyi & Associates
    Los Angeles CA

  • 4.  RE: Private Residence Structural issues

    Posted 07-25-2017 11:46 PM
      |   view attached

    I emailed this to you earlier today but just in case you have not received it. the payment was sent to you successfully.


    Adam A. Vali,

     LEED AP

    DEB Construction, Inc.
    2230 E. Winston Rd, Anaheim, CA 92806
    Office: (714) 632‑6680


    Contractor License: AZ ‑ ROCO94568 | CA ‑ 372419 | NV ‑ 0041522 | OR ‑ 184223 | WA ‑ DEBCOC1923MM |  UT ‑ 10237373‑5501

    Building Beyond Expectations since 1975

    This message is a private communication for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail. Thank you.



    Adam A. Vali, LEED AP
    Office: (714) 632‑6680


    July paid.Inv.pdf   46 KB 1 version

  • 5.  RE: Private Residence Structural issues

    Posted 07-26-2017 02:18 AM

    I'm a licensed engineer and building contractor and may be able to assist. Please contact me at (213) 447-3762 or Calderon4Construction@...

    Marlon Calderon P.E., M.ASCE
    Whittier CA

  • 6.  RE: Private Residence Structural issues

    Posted 07-27-2017 05:07 PM
    I am a PE and B1 GC and specialize in residential structural calculations and visual inspections.  My contact info is below.

    Peter  G. Toghia, P.E. (ptoghia@...)
    Tel.: 714-960-1492  Fax: 708-298-6740
    Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in or be attached to this document. Do not copy, use or rely on this document without specific authorization.
    (Sent from my iPad mini 4)