Countdown to entry deadline:
Welcome to the 2020 ASCE Innovation Contest Site
To enter the contest, you'll need to create an account
The ASCE Innovation Contest is a springboard for forward-looking infrastructure ideas. Now celebrating its fifth year, the ASCE Innovation Contest has a track record of reaching a worldwide audience, delivering value to all participants, and attracting industry attention. Be part of the movement and share your innovation to a larger audience with broader exposure than ever before.
In March 0f 2020, we temporarily closed access to the contest site in order to re-evaluate how to host this contest with the new challenges brought by the COVID-19 Global Pandemic. Our solution includes a hybrid event that will have virtual and in-person elements with the ability to become 100% virtual if required. In addition, we have added a requirement for a poster image to complete a submission as well as a third award for the best undergraduate student submission.
Reasons Why You Should Enter
- Prize money will be awarded to each team or the individual winner of the following awards; the ASCE Innovation Contest Award $5,000, the ASCE Grand Challenge Award $5,000, and the Best Undergraduate Student Submission Award $1,000. For more details about how to win, please enter the contest and download the Contest Guidelines documents.
- Showcase your innovation at a national ASCE event. Many of our past winners have received useful feedback, advice and sometimes new opportunities during their two days networking and meeting with industry leaders at the contest celebration event that will happen for the first time in conjunction with the ASCE Annual Convention.
The Contest has four steps
Step 1 – Submit a complete entry by July 15, 2020
Components of a complete submission include:
- a 5-page written contest entry
- a .jpg image of their complete innovation poster
- All tasks in contest site completed – author list, sign non-disclosure agreement, title and description etc. in total, there are 8 tasks needed to complete the entry
Step 2 – If selected from the first round of judging, you will receive invitation to participate in the video and coaching session. (12-15 entries will move onto this step)
Step 3 – Recorded video presentation with judges.
Step 4 – Pitch presentation to investors. This is a live event that occurs during Convention activities. (6-9 entries will move onto this step) Winners announced during the Convention activities.
Contest Topic areas (pdf)
- Internet of Things (IoT)/Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Sustainable and Resilient Engineering
- Next Generation Transportation
- Improvements in Clean Water
- New Construction Materials and Methodology
- General Civil Infrastructure Improvement
Who may enter?
High School Diploma or equivalent required. The contest is open to:
- ASCE Members
- Undergraduate students
- Graduate students
- Industry professionals
- Independent consultants
How To Enter?
Download Instructions (pdf)
Download instructions that explain how to enter the contest by creating an account in the contest system. Once you have created an account, you will have access to the Contest Guidelines document that includes a detailed checklist for creating your submission, judging criteria, prize money and descriptions for each topic area are available for download after you create an account on the contest site.
A short summary of characteristics sought include: Critical thinking, including the ability to integrate different perspectives and “connect the dots” between disparate data points and an ability to communicate and articulate an idea. Demonstration of Industry specific knowledge but there is no penalty for making assumptions when necessary (e.g., unknown facts, future trends, demands) It is appropriate to question underlying assumptions presented by others who may have examined the problem if you are convinced a different perspective is appropriate. All things being equal, innovations with broad applications will generally be scored higher. In summary, we are interested in seeing how you think through the problem and a potential solution.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have about entering the 2020 contest.