Discussion Thread

• 1.  Teacher Appreciation Week (2022)

Posted 05-01-2022 11:26 AM
    Another month has come and gone. With it, new holidays come and go too.

This week (May 1st to May 7th) is Teacher Appreciation Week, a holiday that seems to get little recognition, just like the workers it celebrates, among our communities. Are any of you professors for Civil Engineering classes?

------------------------------
    Alexander Granato A.M.ASCE
    Student
    Bexley OH
    granato.3@...

• 2.  RE: Teacher Appreciation Week (2022)

Posted 08-28-2022 01:02 PM
    It's been almost four months since Teacher Appreciation Week. At my universities, this holiday week is held way too close to the final exams, leaving the students without any time to leave any appreciation for the professors, besides the surveys regarding the classes, and the professors' handling of them. 

My mother is an elementary school teacher, so I have heard how teachers are unappreciated not just in terms of when this week is situated, but in terms of how much our society needs teachers to educate its youth, and how little teachers are paid for what that work entails. Does that seem to continue up the ladder for becoming say, a Civil Engineering professor?

Alexander Granato A.M.ASCE
    Student
    Bexley OH
    granato.3@...

• 3.  RE: Teacher Appreciation Week (2022)

Posted 08-29-2022 10:27 AM
    I worked for the Corps of Engineers for many years then taught CE at university for a dozen more. I found that people were much more respectful and appreciative of my teaching title than my Corps' title.
    Pay for teaching in the USA is far too low relative to it's importance. Teachers are respected but have been adversely affected by the political culture wars' dog whistle allegations. Appreciation days, weeks, and months are no substitute for actual respect.

William McAnally Ph.D., P.E., D.CE, D.NE, F.ASCE
    ENGINEER
    Columbus MS