Discussion Thread

  • 1.  Securing Work Abroad

    Posted 11-06-2019 11:46 AM
    Hi, All 

    I hail from the Caribbean and have a question concerning gaining structural design experience, say in the US, not ever having a US VISA. Is there any way to set this up and secure my VISA in the process? 

    Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you, in advance.

    Kind Regards,

    Justin Redman Aff.M.ASCE
    Port of Spain

  • 2.  RE: Securing Work Abroad

    Posted 11-07-2019 11:10 PM

    Hello Justin,

    The best way to secure a visa that will give you a work permit to get US experience is through a student visa. Although expensive, if you are planning to get a Masters Degree, consider doing so at an US university. When you graduate with an F1 student visa, you can be allowed to work in the US for up to 3 years. This I believe is the most common route for international students. During those 3 years you will hopefully get a job at a company that is willing to sponsor a work visa for you, allowing you to stay further in the US. 

    Please do not consider this as legal advice, but a lot of information on this topic can be found online. I also suggest consulting with a specialized immigration lawyer who can go over with you all the different types of visas and explore other options. Perhaps there are other ways to achieve your goal. 

    Wishing you the best of luck in whatever your next career steps are!


    Salvador Bentolila P.E., ENV SP, M.ASCE
    New York NY