Discussion Thread

  • 1.  Master's degree and P.E. license

    Posted 04-16-2019 12:28 PM
    Good afternoon,

    I am working on a Master of Science in Environmental Engineering. I was wondering if anyone knew if this can be applied towards a Professional Engineering License in NY. Having a master's degree allows for the number of years of experience required to decrease to 3 years instead of 4. I have been doing research on this and the NCEES website only mentions a "master's degree in engineering" but I'm not sure if the master's degree has to be a Master of Engineering or does this include a Master of Science in an Engineering degree. I contacted NYSED but I got an automated response explaining they are experiencing high volumes of email correspondence. If anyone knows or knows of someone that I can contact directly for a faster response, that would be very helpful!


    Berenice Oseguera

  • 2.  RE: Master's degree and P.E. license

    Posted 04-16-2019 02:01 PM
    I think MS does count towards experience. I myself have an M.S. and I am applying within the accelerated time frame for a P.E.

    Aditya Deshmukh EIT,A.M.ASCE
    Staff Geotechnical Professional
    Lansdale PA

  • 3.  RE: Master's degree and P.E. license

    Posted 04-16-2019 03:27 PM
    Find your state board's website and check.  Every state varies, and laws can also change.

    There might be a workaround, but you'd still have to check with the board. For example, I live in PA and have a masters degree. PA did not give you a year towards your PE with a master's degree at the time I took the exam (2008).

    So, I took my PE exam in Ohio since they did allow it (and the testing center was closer than the one in Maryland, which also allowed it). Then, when I hit the extra year of experience (still required in PA), I applied for reciprocity in PA (among other states) and it was granted. 

    Stephanie Slocum P.E.
    Engineers Rising LLC

  • 4.  RE: Master's degree and P.E. license

    Posted 04-17-2019 10:09 AM
    I believe a "Masters degree in Engineering" would refer to any Masters-level university degree (MS, ME, etc.) in an engineering discipline.  I have an MS in structural engineering and licenses in multiple states including NY, and as far as I can tell it has always been an accepted as satisfying the requirements for a "Masters degree in Engineering".

    Hope this helps and good luck on your PE!

    Cliff Jones, S.E., P.E.,M.ASCE
    Jensen Hughes
    Portland OR

  • 5.  RE: Master's degree and P.E. license

    Posted 04-18-2019 10:12 AM
    My M.S. was also accepted as satisfying the requirements. The M.E. is generally less stringent of a degree to obtain as there is not a full blown thesis involved, but as far as I know, this also satisfies the requirements. I believe the intention is to ensure a Master's in a field unrelated to engineering cannot be used as engineering experience. It seems intuitive, but needs to be said.

    Rachel Holder PE, CFM, A.M.ASCE
    City of San Antonio
    San Antonio TX

  • 6.  RE: Master's degree and P.E. license

    Posted 04-19-2019 08:10 AM
    NYSED form 2 mentions ABET, therefore its more likely they do not differentiate between the MS an M.Eng. Its a bit difficult to differentiate between the two, some say one is more technical than the other. 

    Instead of calling send them an Email.

    Ricky Bhola EIT,A.M.ASCE