Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Water management under climate change

Posted 09-29-2022 04:06 PM
    Edited by Tirza Austin 10-03-2022 11:00 AM
    Hello everyone!
    I would like to have hydrological modeling to analyze the effects of climate change in a glacierized region that is extremely vulnerable to temperature rise. I have prepared the precipitation and Max & Min air temperature considering RCP4.5 and RCP8.5 scenarios from MIROC5 and downscaled the obtained data using CMhyd, could you guide me please how to obtain and downscale other weather data like relative humidity, solar radiation, and wind speed?
    I am using the SWAT model.
    Thanks

------------------------------
    Sayed Amir Alawi S.E., S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Kabul

• 2.  RE: Water management under climate change

Posted 10-12-2022 08:06 AM
    Hi Sayed, 

It sounds like you're working on some really interesting stuff. I wish I had something helpful to share with you, but your project is pretty far outside of my area of knowledge. I know in the USA, its possible to get the weather data that you are looking for from NOAA via certain airport measurements. I don't know if your project location is close enough to any of them to be useful though. You can look through what types of data are available here: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/search

Good luck!

Christopher Seigel P.E., M.ASCE
    Civil Engineer

• 3.  RE: Water management under climate change

Posted 10-21-2022 12:46 PM
    I know those data is available in your locals for the projects, specifically called the surveying and mapping (topography, geology, weather) data from companies, institution, laboratories, etc. and they are for sale. Maybe you can check your locals if you can buy data from whichever available. I remeber my coach in OJT bring me with him to buy some data he will be needing in his ARCGIS mapping.

Llala Chrishaye Ocampo Aff.M.ASCE
    Student
    City of General Trias Cavite

• 4.  RE: Water management under climate change

Posted 01-11-2023 08:04 AM

Dear Alawi,

Using the SWAT model, I conducted research on climate change's impact on water resources in the Kabul River basin.

I used the meteorological data for the Kabul River basin from different sources: Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock (MAIL), Ministry of Energy and Water (MEW) of Afghanistan, and Climate Forecast System Reanalysis (CFSR).

The CFSR global atmosphere data has a spatial resolution of about 38 km, and data on precipitation, temperature, solar radiation, humidity, and wind speed are available starting in 1979. I advise you to use the CFSR data in your research or, if you're in Afghanistan, get in touch with the NSIA directorate and get the climate data from them as well.

Sayed Abdullah Pacha
    Master Student 
    BTU University- Germany

<quillbot-extension-portal></quillbot-extension-portal>

Sayed Abdullah Pacha S.M.ASCE
    Master Student
    Brandenburg, Cottbus

• 5.  RE: Water management under climate change

Posted 01-11-2023 09:44 AM
    Thanks for your reply.