Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Transitioning to 3rd Shift: Best Strategy?

Posted 11-22-2022 08:15 PM

I recently took on an inspection project that has me starting work as late as 9 pm and finishing the next day around 8 am. The last time I had to work a 3rd shift was over 30 years ago. I have gone a few days without sleep and I usually go to sleep around 2am and wakeup around 7am. My body and meal clocks are confused.

My Plan for transitioning to this 3rd shift project consisted of staying up all night and sleeping during the day for three consecutive days. I can drowsily admit that my plan was FLAWED!

Does anyone have a strategy for prepping for the "3rd Shift", short term or long term?

How do you define mealtimes (i.e., breakfast, lunch or dinner)?

What do you believe to be the best period for sleeping, before the shift or after?

Sincerely,

Cinderella Dwarf #4 

------------------------------
    James Williams P.E., M.ASCE
    Principal/Owner
    POA&M Structural Engineering, PLC
    Yorktown, VA

• 2.  RE: Transitioning to 3rd Shift: Best Strategy?

Posted 11-23-2022 10:06 AM

James, great point! This occurs frequently here. In some cases when unconventional structural designs are required, or there is exists a lot of factors involved that you fully don't acknowledge on what you will have to face, at the beginning. In general, is necessary overcome new challenges (or systems approaches to design a structure, unknow types of structures,  or when you feel that should improving our database/our design system, so spend much time to developing or upgrade our system as an extra activity). The Major obstacle in my view when is "requested to perform the activity within a zone of limited set of time", a final schedule that can injury you physically. soon you will probably "running out of time". In that case you might try to recognize the pattern and focus on your mental & body health! STRATEGIC Actions might be trying reduce or eliminate unnecessary tasks that would consume your energy levels. . .  Yes it is important, because with more energy reserves that you have, more strength to avoid the sleep will be available. In my view,  postpone some meals or use the energy to accelerate all stages of your work itself. Try to use tiredness moments for making some stop, to rehydration/re-eating and resting (move your body) . . . it is like a pit stop when you feel that you must reenergize (like in Formula 1), you can be inspired by great pilots during a race like Ayrton Senna (BRAZIL) - 3 times World Champion Haha.  Lets the  FULL dedication mode assume. When you find little increment of time-pause  helpful when you have a tendency for procrastinations at times (like me), so you can change the order of sequence that you PERFORM the work, and you can gain concentration again, this would be powerful, and Try to close your eyes form a moment, when you are tired. Reestablish the attention level when you are not feeling well. You can try to take some work out on days before, and eat/drink very well balanced way and also Avoid alcohol drinks, to booster your immune system. If you work consist in cold regions exposure, which Sun's electromagnetic radiation incidence is not sufficiently, try to find ways to  reestablish the VITAMIN D levels administration (with the consultancy of a physician, of course). 

In my View, you can force being a lot of time without sleep in the initial days, it is the peak Energy storage in my body system. It would be interesting to have in mind for how much time the task will be PERFORMED, program YOURSELV for contingencies at final stages. Always take immediately an intensive sleep and reestablish the nourishment process A.S.A.P. And yes first of all, and most important - Avoid to work on that circumstances if you are emotionally unstable. Think about, It might helps maybe in a sense to take care of us as well. But others response maybe not be clear, since every person can surprise om overtaking maneuvers, so emerging their complex behaviors in situations like that. 

Note: Ayrton Senna was a Brazilian racing driver who won the Formula One World Drivers' Championship in 1988, 1990, and 1991 (performance-based pilot)

suggestions?  key strategies ? Survivalism ?

Andre Newinski S.E., A.M.ASCE
    Engenheiro Estrutural
    AN
    Santo Angelo