Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  2020 Consumer Electronics Show - Smart Cities, Resilience, and Sustainability

Posted 07-10-2019 11:32 AM
    Edited by Tirza Austin 07-10-2019 11:31 AM
    I just received an email from the 2020 Consumer Electronics Show (Jan 7-10, 2020 in Las Vegas) asking me to submit an abstract for a presentation on "Smart Cities." I don't have sufficient technical knowledge in that area to contribute positively, so I will not be submitting an abstract. But, it made me curious; I was quite surprised that this would be one of the CES themes, so I did some digging.

Their website (https://www.ces.tech/) lists Resilience, Smart Cities, and Sustainability as topics (among many others, btw!). These are obviously of critical interest to Civil Engineers.

Is anyone planning to present? If so, what is the topic of your presentation?

Will ASCE be represented (e.g. have a booth)?

I am curious about our level of involvement as Civil Engineers in this consumer-driven event. It seems that we (Civil Engineers AND ASCE) should be in midst of any important discussions on these critical infrastructure matters if we hope to lead the national discussion. Does this one fit that criteria? I am interested in others' thoughts about the role of ASCE and Civil Engineers in these discussions. 

------------------------------
    Donald Hayes
    Research Environmental Engineer
    Engineer Research and Development Center

• 2.  RE: 2020 Consumer Electronics Show - Smart Cities, Resilience, and Sustainability

Posted 07-11-2019 04:36 PM
    I 100% agree with you, Don.  Civil Engineers and ASCE should be a "significant" part of this, if not leading these types of discussions.  I'm meeting with the ASCE President-Elect (Dr. Gunalan) next week, so I'll bring this up.

Kevin D. White, Ph.D. P.E.
    Professor and Chair
    University of South Alabama
    Mobile AL
    (251) 460-6174
    kwhite@...

• 3.  RE: 2020 Consumer Electronics Show - Smart Cities, Resilience, and Sustainability

Posted 07-12-2019 09:06 AM
    Thanks, Ken! I am interested in Dr. Gunalan's thoughts.

I am hoping to learn from this thread that ASCE and a host of Civil Engineers are heavily involved - and hoping that some who were not aware of CES' interest might become involved. My "invitation" was generic, but I don't know how widespread they were delivered.

Donald Hayes

• 4.  RE: 2020 Consumer Electronics Show - Smart Cities, Resilience, and Sustainability

Posted 07-14-2019 10:14 AM
    Edited by Tirza Austin 07-14-2019 03:04 PM
    Great input. ASCE just began this same discussion among the staff who are working on our Future World Vision project, and are considering how we best engage in the CES forum in January.

Gerald Buckwalter M.ASCE
    Chief Operating and Strategy Officer
    ASCE
    Reston VA
    (207)412-8090

• 5.  RE: 2020 Consumer Electronics Show - Smart Cities, Resilience, and Sustainability

Posted 07-15-2019 12:33 PM
    Edited by Tirza Austin 07-15-2019 06:07 PM
    Gerald,

It is great to hear that this is on ASCE's radar! I don't see how we can afford not to be involved. It is important on many fronts. I am hoping that we will learn through this thread that some CEs are submitting abstracts for presentations independently as well.

Donald Hayes