Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Hunting for BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 or 1965 (electronic versions)

Posted 01-12-2023 08:36 PM
    I am hunting the elusive BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 Edition. I thought I had an electronic copy via ICCSAFE.org after searching the site for BOCA Basic  ... and purchasing the "Historical UBC Collection 1927 - 1997 (PDF Download)". 
    Despite numerous internet searches and my usual spots, I have found absolutely nothing for this specific year.

------------------------------
    James Williams P.E., M.ASCE
    Principal/Owner
    POA&M Structural Engineering, PLC
    Yorktown, VA

• 2.  RE: Hunting for BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 or 1965 (electronic versions)

Posted 01-13-2023 11:56 AM
    I may have one in storage. I do not want to sell it, but I am willing to loan it if you are needing it for research. If I have it I will let you know. I keep a library of old code books for forensic investigations. I have been a registered Texas PE for 45 years.

Larry J. Tanner, P.E., R.A.
    Tanner Consulting
    Lubbock, TX

Larry Tanner P.E., M.ASCE
    Owner
    Lubbock TX

• 3.  RE: Hunting for BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 or 1965 (electronic versions)

Posted 01-14-2023 11:29 AM
    Mr. Tanner, that is great. 
    I am the same way; I have collected old codes and specs for investigations and assessments of existing structures. What is funny is that there are no pdfs are available with ICCSafe.org. We had a Collaborate discussion back in October about Existing Structures: Old drawings, reviews, and specifications (Tips). If you have not seen it, you may want to visit and share some insight. 

I have the 1967 U.B.C code and the BOCA Basic Building Code 1975 Edition. I will compare and contrast as a means of interpolating. The last time I was in a similar position, I made the trip to the codes officials and they let me make copies at their office. 

While I would love to borrow your version, as rare as it seems to be, I would be reluctant to.

Principal/Owner
    Yorktown, VA

• 4.  RE: Hunting for BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 or 1965 (electronic versions)

Posted 01-15-2023 11:03 AM
    I will check to see if I have two of them.

Larry Tanner
    [Owner
    Lubbock TX
    larry.tanner@...

• 5.  RE: Hunting for BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 or 1965 (electronic versions)

Posted 01-16-2023 10:33 AM
    I do similar work in Seattle WA.  A couple of years ago I was looking for three consecutive building codes from the early 60s (I have the Historic UBC disc, but what I needed was The Seattle Building Code).   I tried the Seattle Department of Construction and Inspection (The Seattle Building Department), but they were locked down for Covid.  They suggested the Seattle Library.  The library didn't have it, but they searched and found copies at the University of Washington Library System.  There were copies in the Main Library, the Engineering Library, the Law Library, and in the Special Collections Library.  None of them had all three, but all three were in the system.  I enjoyed going to Special Collections.  They had to bring it out of archives, and then I made an appointment to go and look at it.  Their set up let me make copies of the pages that I needed without forcing the book to lie flat on a photocopy machine.  You might try a large University with a good engineering school?

Edwin Huston P.E., S.E., MIStructE, F.SEI, M.ASCE
    Vice Pres
    Huston Structural Engineering, PLLC
    Shoreline WA

• 6.  RE: Hunting for BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 or 1965 (electronic versions)

Posted 01-16-2023 07:44 PM
    Mr. Huston, many thanks for responding.

I struck online gold about 5 minutes ago. I was following a section in the 1973 Virginia USBC entitled "Section III - Inconsistent Local Building Codes and Regulations Repealed", it stated "That all building codes and regulations of the counties, municipalities, and State agencies in conflict herewith are repealed as called for in Chapter 829, Section 36-100 of the Acts of the General Assembly of 1972."

Searched online for "Acts of the General Assembly" and came to a website (https://lva-virginia.libguides.com/c.php?g=1032364&p=7485220) for "The Library of Virginia" : 200 Library of Virginia 1823-2023. Under The Legislative History in Virginia was a list of websites "The Statutes at Large [Hening] (HathiTrust Digital Library) Virginia laws (1619-1792).
    Searched the website for "BOCA" and found the FIRST EDITION 1962 Edition (Digitized by Google. Original from University of California).

babel.hathitrust.org

Principal/Owner
    Yorktown, VA

• 7.  RE: Hunting for BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 or 1965 (electronic versions)

Posted 01-16-2023 07:43 PM
    It looks like Penn State has a digitized version of the 1965 BOCA.  I copied the link below that I used to look up the book on google books.
    Your local major city or major university library may also have a copy, but I would contact Penn State and see what you need to do to get a digital copy, or at lease be able to view it.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/BOCA_Basic_Building_Code/J5zgAAAAMAAJ?hl=en

Hope this helps!

Jeff Hubbell, P.E., S.E., M.ASCE

Jeffrey Hubbell P.E., M.ASCE
    Vice President
    Casper, Phillips & Associates
    Tacoma WA

• 8.  RE: Hunting for BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 or 1965 (electronic versions)

UPDATE 

Principal/Owner
    Yorktown, VA

• 9.  RE: Hunting for BOCA Basic Building Code 1967 or 1965 (electronic versions)

FIRE RESISTANCE RATINGS ONLY!!!!

Principal/Owner
    Yorktown, VA