Wisconsin Section

Wisconsin Section

View Only
  • 1.  Pandemic in ASCE WI newsletter May 2020

Posted 05-19-2020 11:48 PM

Pandemic

(Opinion by Public Affairs Chairman, Gregory Schroeder, P.E, M. ASCE)

Hello fellow ASCE members. My last article in February was very focused on the issue of climate change. My high level of concern for the world's climate has not changed at all, but a lot of other things have changed immensely.  The pandemic has brought about the most rapid changes in our lives.  Small things that seemed big may no longer matter.  In other cases, we now recognize small things that really matter. 

I suspect that you all have some new perspectives and observations to share. Based upon my past articles, I think you know where I am going with this.  Once more I am requesting that we put ASCE Collaborate to good use and speak to one another using this powerful forum. 

Like other essential workers, engineers are key to the public safety and well-being. I am interested in how the Covid 19 pandemic has impacted you and engineering in Wisconsin.  We each have unique perspectives. You may have questions to ask your peers.  The following are a few of mine.

How has the pandemic impacted you personally? How has it impacted your company?  Are there unique ways in which the pandemic has affected you?  Are your projects on hold, or delayed, or cancelled?  What do you think might be the impact of the decrease in tax revenues to the communities that you serve? 

What are your deepest concerns? What are your concerns regarding successfully preventing a resurgence of the virus?  What are you concerns for the economic impacts of the shut down?  How do we as engineers lead in the management of these risks? 

Finally, what has been missed or not emphasized enough in the public discord to help us beat Covid 19?

We would like to hear from you. Please log in to ASCE Collaborate and share your thoughts.  

The opinions expressed here are those of the author only, and do not necessarily represent the views of his employer, the Wisconsin Section, or ASCE.

------------------------------
    Gregory Schroeder P.E., M.ASCE
    Senior Engineer
    Lake Geneva WI

• 2.  RE: Pandemic in ASCE WI newsletter May 2020

Posted 06-08-2020 02:31 PM
    Upon reflection, I realized that I had not expressed sufficient gratitude to the healthcare, food industry and other essential service workers that have kept us well cared for in these difficult times.  Please excuse my oversight, and pass on our engineering community appreciation especially for those at increased risks of infection in the services that they provide.  Greg Schroeder

Senior Engineer
    Lake Geneva WI

• 3.  RE: Pandemic in ASCE WI newsletter May 2020

Posted 06-08-2020 04:30 PM
    CAUTION WHEN SELECTING A MASK FOR COVID 19!  I don't think there has been enough attention to this issue.  We should not be wearing masks with vents when our goal is to prevent the spread of Covid 19.  The main purpose of wearing a mask is to prevent the wearer from knowingly or unknowingly spreading the virus.  A vent in a mask opens each time the wearer exhales or even sneezes, and the virus in droplets escapes through the mask vent almost unhindered.  Please share this and choose masks without vents.  Thanks.

Senior Engineer
    Lake Geneva WI

• 4.  RE: Pandemic in ASCE WI newsletter May 2020

Posted 06-09-2020 08:24 AM
    It's also worth noting that most N-95 masks are disposable. After use when they could be contaminated, they should be disposed and a new one worn. Many home-made masks can be thoroughly washed and re-used.

Yance Marti P.E., M.ASCE
    Civil Engineer IV
    City of Milwaukee
    Milwaukee WI