Discussion Thread

ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

• 1.  ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-19-2023 08:47 PM

Want to turn those job applications into job interviews? The ASCE Resume Workshop can help!

All submitted resumes will be reviewed by coaches and receive a response by Monday, March27th in this thread where you submit your resume.

We are accepting resumes only - please do not post a CV. We also ask that you only submit in a PDF format.

Please note all resumes submitted will be reviewed before they are published on the thread. Happy job hunting! 

*** You must be an ASCE Member for your resume to be reviewed.

Learn more about the ASCE Resume Coaches

Find more information on crafting a civil engineering resume

------------------------------
    Tirza Austin
    Senior Manager, Online Community
    American Society of Civil Engineers
    1801 Alexander Bell Drive
    Reston, VA 20191

• 2.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 07:58 AM
      |   view attached

Hello!

My name is S.Philip Pachade and I am an EIT. I have two years of experience in a design/consulting role in the structural industry. I am sharing my resume for review. Thank you!

Sarvadaman Pachade A.M.ASCE
    Houston TX

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-27-2023 03:16 PM
      |   view attached

Hello S.Philip,

Very clean-looking resume. Some of your bullet points can be written a bit better but I had to be really critical of your resume because it was already at a  great level!

Overall, there were a few word choices that I would change and move some things around but otherwise, good job!

Daniel Bressler EIT, A.M.ASCE
    Structural Engineer
    Brooklyn NY

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 04-06-2023 10:05 AM

Hello @Daniel Bressler,

Thank you very much for the suggestions! I appreciate it. I believe some of the edits were cut off in the PDF. May you please send an updated version? 

Kind regards,

S.Philip

Sarvadaman Pachade A.M.ASCE
    Houston TX

• 5.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 07:58 AM
      |   view attached

Hello

I am currently applying for internships for summer 2023. Please see my attached resume for your reference! Thank you!

Kha Tu Nguyen S.M.ASCE
    Surrey BC

Attachment(s)

• 6.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-27-2023 03:16 PM
      |   view attached

KhaTu,

A very good resume with a lot in there. I would comb through your experience" sections and try to be more concise with your bullet points. Your resume seems overwhelming when first opened. 

I made some edits but feel free to send it back again once you go through it. 

Here are some helpful action words you can use to start a bunch of bullet points. Remember, the point is to emphasize how amazing you are and each bullet point should reinforce that. 

Structural Engineer
    Brooklyn NY

Attachment(s)

• 7.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 10:53 AM
      |   view attached

Hello!

My name is Julia Kelly and I am currently a junior at Rensselaer Polytechnical Institute, pursuing a B.S. in Environmental Engineering. I am always looking for another set of eyes on resume, so I have attached it here. 

Thank you!

Julia Kelly S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Fall River MA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Kelly, Julia Resume.pdf   138 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-26-2023 08:18 PM

Julia, 

Great resume with some good engineering work experience.  Since Environmental is a fairly vast field, I think your resume good benefit from a Objective statement at the top (maybe in place of relative coursework - most engineers reviewing the resumes understand the basic curriculum that you would have taken).  The Objective statement will give you a chance to stand out further.  Just trying to be critical to assist you, maybe re-write the first bullet in your experience under Wright-Pierce - be more specific with the work you did.  You have some good experience which will attract employers so explain it in more detail.  Best of luck to you in the future and I hope this helps.

Mike

Michael Wallace P.E., M.ASCE
    Chief of Construction
    Port Auth Of NY & NJ
    Jersey City NJ

• 9.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-27-2023 02:06 PM
      |   view attached

Hey Julia,

A very good resume. Michael pointed out below, be a little more specific about the work you did. This can make the reader more interested in finding out more and can also give a gauge of how much responsibility you had. I would also lead your bullet points with action words that further advance your story and experience.

Best of luck and keep up the good work!

Structural Engineer
    Brooklyn NY

Attachment(s)

• 10.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 10:54 AM
      |   view attached

Good morning,

My name is Glenn and I am a Senior Project Manager for AECOM Tishman. I have 10 years experience in large-scale commercial and residential construction. I recently passed the PE Exam. Please see attached resume for review. Thank you!

Glenn Valentine A.M.ASCE
    Project Manager
    New York NY

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Glenn Valentine Resume.pdf   231 KB 1 version

• 11.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Glenn - excellent resume with a great deal of experience.  I liked the overall format and thought your resume was innovative with the paragraphs in the left column.  I have to be honest - your work experience in paragraph form (small font) gets very wordy and takes awhile to get through.  Most hiring engineers that review resumes have limited time to review the resumes and you need to be as concise as possible with your write-ups.  In my opinion, bullets work better than paragraphs and you could move the dates of your experience up to give you more room below to try and increase the font.  My critiques are minimal as it is a formidable resume with great experience.  Best of luck to you in the future.

Mike

Chief of Construction
    Port Auth Of NY & NJ
    Jersey City NJ

• 12.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 01:35 PM
      |   view attached

Hi!

My name is MaiKhanh (Sylvia) Le, currently a junior in Civil Engineering at UCI. I attach my resume here, and would love to receive feedback! 

Thank you,

Sylvia Le S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Irvine CA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    MaiKhanhLe_Resume.pdf   137 KB 1 version

• 13.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 04-18-2023 05:04 PM

Comments:
    -I would change "Profile" to "Objective" and remove everything except "Civil Engineering student seeking a summer internship in the Civil Engineering field"
    -remove the "s" at the end of "Course Work"
    -I like the way you described your work experience because it shows skills that also transfer into an engineering position

Overall nice resume

Heidi C. Wallace, P.E., M.ASCE
    Tulsa, OK

• 14.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 03:34 PM
      |   view attached

Hello!

My name is Furquan and I am a Grad student (Construction Management) at the University of Texas at Arlington, Currently applying for internships for summer 2023. Please find my Resume attached for reference.

Thank you.

Mohammad Furquan S.M.ASCE
    Graduate Student
    Arlington TX

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Resume M.Furquan..pdf   214 KB 1 version

• 15.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 04-18-2023 05:12 PM

Comments:
    -the font seems very small -- keep in mind that it may be printed off instead of read on a computer where they can zoom in
    -you can remove the "courses" lines from the education sections since the don't add much more than "Masters in Construction Management" already tells the reader
    -in your project section, be consistent with where you do and don't use italics 
    -I would make each item under Extracurriculars & Volunteering just one line to give you room to increase your fonts elsewhere. Similarly, you can reword some of your job description items that go over a line so that they fit on one line.

Tulsa, OK

• 16.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 03:35 PM
      |   view attached

Hi! 

My name is David Diaz Garcia. I am a sophomore at Swarthmore College pursuing my General Engineering degree as I focus on Civil and Environmental Engineering. I am currently applying and searching for Civil/Environmental Engineering internships but am also open to Mechanical and Energy Internships! I am attaching my resume for review. Thank you so much for your time! 

David Diaz Garcia S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Swarthmore PA

David Diaz Garcia S.M.ASCE
    El Monte CA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Diaz-Garcia_David Resume.pdf   146 KB 1 version

• 17.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 04-18-2023 05:36 PM

Comments:
    -While scholarships are impressive, I would leave that off a resume -- since you're looking for a paid position it may not help you if they know you aren't paying for school when others are
    -In your coursework I wouldn't include general classes that all candidates would have taken (like General Physics, Calculus)
    -I would remove the line about being trained in the use of heavy woodworking equipment from your Experience section since it won't be applicable to another job, and it is already covered in your skills section
    -Add an "Objective" line at the top (before the Education section) that describes the position you are looking for. When possible, tailor it to a specific position. For activities like career fairs, you can generalize your objective statement. An example objective statement would be "Seeking internship in environmental engineering for summer 2023"

Tulsa, OK

• 18.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 04:38 PM
      |   view attached

Hi, I would appreciate having some feedback on my Resume!

Thank You!

Indiketiya Hewage Namila Chathuranga S.M.ASCE
    Undergraduate student
    Kirillawala

Attachment(s)

• 19.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 04-18-2023 05:36 PM

My geographic area of knowledge for resumes is the United States, so please also check this feedback with someone local to where you are seeking employment

Comments:
    -I would not include the "soft skills" section
    -I would not include the "managerial skills" section
    -I would move the "career objective" so that it is one of the first things they see (I would delete the "An active, creative..." part and put the career objective in its place
    -I would give some bullet points under your experience so that the readers know what you did as a trainee civil engineer -- use action words
    -I would not include test scores or rankings for education before your University participation
    -I would not include the "academic Achievements" section since you GPA alone already tells the reader that you make excellent grades

Overall, I would say to keep in mind that you want your resume to "show" not "tell" -- in other words, don't tell the reader that you are creative or passionate; show it by the way that you describe your work experience, organization participation, etc.

Tulsa, OK

• 20.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 06:36 PM
      |   view attached

Hi,

I have attached my resume.

Justin Biju S.M.ASCE
    Kollam

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Justinbiju CV.pdf   439 KB 1 version

• 21.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-26-2023 09:12 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Justin, 

Thanks for providing your resume, please see attached for my comments and feedback.

I would encourage you to take another look at your Positions of Responsibility section and be more thorough and specific with your tasks and responsibilities. If you're having a hard time, think about it in a way that you are training someone for that same position and they want to know exactly what you did and how you did it. Quantify it if you can. 

Please let me know if you have any questions on anything or would like me to take a second look after you have updated your resume. Happy to help!

Thanks,

Joyce 

Joyce Lin EIT, A.M.ASCE
    San Francisco CA

Attachment(s)

• 22.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 07:48 PM
      |   view attached

Hello all! My name is Justin Williams and I am a 3rd year Civil Engineering student at the University of Missouri - Columbia. Please refer to my attached resume. Thank you!

Justin Williams S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Saint Charles MO

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Resume - Justin Williams.pdf   217 KB 1 version

• 23.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

|   view attached

Hi Justin, 

Thanks for providing your resume, please see attached for my comments and feedback.

I would encourage you to space out your sections and make sure your formatting is consistent and even. Otherwise you have a great looking resume and almost formatted similarly to mine! 

Please let me know if you have any questions on anything or would like me to take a second look after you have updated your resume. Happy to help!

Thanks,

Joyce 

Joyce Lin EIT, A.M.ASCE
    San Francisco CA

Attachment(s)

• 24.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-20-2023 11:22 PM
      |   view attached

Hello, 

My name is Noor Dabdoub. I'm currently working as Field Verification Manager for residential builder and looking for a construction management/inspection job

Nooraldean Dabdoub
    dnooreldeen@...
    Havertown PA

Attachment(s)

• 25.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

|   view attached

Hi Noor, 

I would encourage you to take another look at your resume and see if you can trim it down to 1 page. I think there's some areas where you can condense it down or remove entirely, your resume doesn't have to reflect every single project/thing you've worked on but it should highlight the important ones, or the ones that you can comfortably talk about in an interview. 

Thanks,

Joyce 

Joyce Lin EIT, A.M.ASCE
    San Francisco CA

Attachment(s)

• 26.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-21-2023 08:02 AM
      |   view attached

Hello,

Water Resources Engineer with 5 years of experience in water system planning, design, and construction oversight. I am sharing my resume for advice.

Ibrahim Selunkuma S.M.ASCE
    Hürth

Attachment(s)

• 27.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-21-2023 12:12 PM
      |   view attached

Ladies & Gents,

Please find attached my Updated resume for your kind reviews.

Samir Yakin S.M.ASCE
    Civil Structural Engineer
    MUMBAI MH

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Samir Yakeen Resume.pdf   106 KB 1 version

• 28.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-28-2023 08:01 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Samir,

You have provided great detail in your resume regarding your work and project experience. I have some suggestions, many of them relatively minor formatting items with some content/design suggestions, marked up in the attached PDF.

Best of luck!

Katie

Kathryn Little, EIT (she/her)
    Water Resources Engineer

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Samir Yakeen Resume.pdf   121 KB 1 version

• 29.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

|   view attached

Hi Ibrahim, 

I would encourage you to take another look at your formatting and be consistent with your bulleted tasks/responsibilities. Make sure to start with an action verb since "flood forecasting studies" doesn't really tell me much. 

Thanks,

Joyce 

Joyce Lin EIT, A.M.ASCE
    San Francisco CA

Attachment(s)

• 30.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-21-2023 10:33 AM
      |   view attached

Hello,

I'm Jushan Abdullah Babar, 23, currently in my senior year, doing my B.Sc in Civil Engineering in CUET, Bangladesh. I aspire to go for a doctoral program in Civil & Environmental Engineering. I attach my resume here. Thanks in Advance.

Kindest Regards,
    Jushan Abdullah Babar, Aff.M.ASCE
    Chittagong, Bangladesh

Jushan Babar Aff.M.ASCE
    Chittagong

Attachment(s)

• 31.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

|   view attached

Hi Jushan,

Your resume is off to a good start. I like the tasteful use of a bit of color and clear formatting. I've provided most of my suggestions as markups in the attached PDF.

Other general comments include:

• This resume could easily fit on one page. After removing redundant text, reducing the font size a bit, and making the header smaller (no photo and less space around your name), it will already be much closer to that concise, eye-catching one-pager that someone at an early career stage like you can use. There's no rule that says it can't be two pages, but I tend to err on the side of "if it can fit on one page, it should."
    • I also suggest reducing the use of bold font except for headings or position/award titles. When a lot of the text is bold, it loses its ability to really draw the eye to the most important content.
    • The introduction feels a bit long; I suggest providing more detail about specific roles you've had or projects you've worked on in the appropriate sections rather than summarizing them all in paragraph form.

Best of luck, and feel free to reach out with any additional questions!

Katie

Water Resources Engineer

Attachment(s)

• 32.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-21-2023 10:33 AM
      |   view attached

Hello, 

My name is Ubaldo Huato, I am currently pursuing my Bachelors in Civil Engineering. Please see my attached resume and thank you for your help.

Ubaldo Huato S.M.ASCE
    Houston TX

Attachment(s)

• 33.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

|   view attached

Hi Ubaldo,

Your resume is in great shape. It's clean and clear, concise, and provides solid details on your experience.

I've left some minor formatting markups as well as a few content-related suggestions in the attached PDF. Feel free to reach out with any concerns.

Best of luck!

Katie

Water Resources Engineer

Attachment(s)

• 34.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 04-04-2023 05:56 PM

Thank you Katie, 

I really appreciate your input on my resume and will update it per your comments. Glad and fortunate that you were able to help me out. 

Regards, 
    Ubaldo H.

Ubaldo Huato S.M.ASCE
    Houston TX

• 35.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-21-2023 11:13 AM
      |   view attached

Hello, 

My name is Cris Gaviria, I am currently pursuing my Bachelors in Civil Engineering. Please see my attached resume and thank you for your help.

Cristobal Gaviria S.M.ASCE
    Suwanee GA

Attachment(s)

• 36.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-21-2023 01:57 PM
      |   view attached

Hello!

I've attached my resume to look at it. Please let me know if you have any comments.

Regards,

------------------------------------------

Abdul Ayubzai PMP, S.M.ASCE

Dallas - Texas

-----------------------------------------

Abdul Hamid Ayubzai S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Garland TX

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Resume.pdf   729 KB 1 version

• 37.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-27-2023 08:03 AM

Hi Abdul,

This is overall a great resume! With 10 years of professional experience, I would agree that a multipage resume is valid, but I think the information you have provided could be more concise and fit on two pages in the future.

A few suggestions on ways you can further improve your resume and cut this down to two pages:

• In the future, label your resume something like "Resume- Ayubzai". I mainly review resumes on my computer now, so including your name will help me easily find it in the midst of the other resumes I am reviewing.
    • I would remove all the italicized text and rather "show" this experience throughout your bullet points. For example, how are you utilizing Bluebeam Revu in this role on projects? For further improving your experience bullet points, I recommend reading the following ASCE Article, specifically section 3 about "Telling, not showing": https://collaborate.asce.org/careerbydesign/blogs/stephanie-slocum1/2020/03/05/top-7-mistakes-civil-engineers-make-on-resumes
    • In your "Projects Scheduler" and "Construction Projects Scheduler" role, you use a mix of present and past tense. I would recommend changing this to be consistent.
    • Leave the references section off and provide them during the interview / hiring process.
    • I would recommend that you update your public profile URL on LinkedIn to your name. You can learn how to do this here: https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/a542685/manage-your-public-profile-url?lang=en

Good job, and I hope this helps!

Danielle Schroeder P.E., M.ASCE (She/her)
    Transportation Engineer
    Jenkintown PA

• 38.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-27-2023 04:56 PM

Dear Schroeder,

Thank you very much for your comments. It is a convenient comment, and I will follow your instruction.

Best regards, 

Abdul Hamid Ayubzai S.M.ASCE
    Garland TX

• 39.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

|   view attached

Hi Cris,

Your resume is already in great shape. I like how you showcase your project experience done outside of a job setting, providing concrete details about your specific role and accomplishments on each project.

If space permits, I recommend adding an "objective" or "seeking" line at the top, just below your contact info. This would be a sentence or two at most, highlighting specifically what you are looking for and why you are a good candidate.

I marked up a few minor formatting comments in the attached PDF.

Best of luck!
    Katie

Water Resources Engineer

Attachment(s)

• 40.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-22-2023 08:21 AM
      |   view attached

Hello,

My name is Anum and I recently graduated from Northern Virginia Community College. I am taking a gap year at this time after which I intend to continue my education at Virginia Tech. I am using my gap year to participate in extracurriculars like Engineers Without Borders and Concrete Canoe design team. I am also currently interning for AECOM.

Please let me know how I can make my resume better. Thank you!

Anum Khan S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Blacksburg VA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Khan.Anum.pdf   75 KB 1 version

• 41.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Anum,

You have some good entry level experience but you did not expand on it enough for me to know what area of Environmental Engineering interests you the most.  I am not a fan of Related Coursework - I believe you should delete it and expand on your work experience, especially your last 2 internships.  What projects did you work on?  You went to jobsites - describe the projects.  Graduating and interning engineers with prior experience are always sought out by employers so spend more time re-writing and adding to your internships.  Your objective could be more prescriptive too, unless you have not decided where in Environmental Engineering you wish to work in.  Best of luck to you in the future.

Mike 

Chief of Construction
    Port Auth Of NY & NJ
    Jersey City NJ

• 42.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Hi Anum, 

This is overall a good resume! 

A few suggestions on ways you can further improve your resume:

• Great job in customizing your LinkedIn URL! I personally now review most resumes digitally, so if you can make this a working/clickable URL, that would be great.
    • In terms of your objective – what is the time frame you will be available for this co-op or internship? I also agree with Mike – if there is a specific part of Environmental Engineering you are wanting to work in, do also include that in your objective statement!
    • As for your work experience, I would love to see more on the quantitative side similar to what Mike mentioned. For example, "Assist in collecting, preparing, and analyzing data" is the data for survey data for 1 building that is 2 stories tall or 100 buildings that are skyscrapers?
    • Change "Blue Beam" to Bluebeam Revu
    • For the skills and core competencies section, you could add what version of the program i.e. AutoCAD 2020.

Transportation Engineer
    Jenkintown PA

• 43.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-23-2023 07:57 AM
      |   view attached

Hello,  My resume is attached. I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Rich Juricich P.E., ENV SP, M.ASCE
    Principal Engineer
    Pasadena CA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    RESUME_Juricich_02202023.pdf   111 KB 1 version

• 44.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Rich,

I think your resume needs some re-shuffling.  With your years of experience, I believe Education should go towards the end of the resume, not the beginning.  For the positions you will be applying for, your potential employers are more interested in your experience than your education.  I would re-shuffle it to Areas of Experience (or maybe Expertise), Employment History, Professional Registrations and then Education.  Otherwise, the information you have on the resume is solid but I think the re-shuffling may assist in attracting future employer's attention.  Best of luck to you.

Mike

Chief of Construction
    Port Auth Of NY & NJ
    Jersey City NJ

• 45.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the review of my Resume. It's great to have another set of eyes look it over, and you have provided excellent feedback.

Sincerely,

Rich Juricich

Rich Juricich P.E., ENV SP, M.ASCE
    Principal Engineer
    Pasadena CA

• 46.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-23-2023 01:23 PM
      |   view attached

Hello, My name is Shivesh Rane, I am a final  year student of Civil Engineering in Goa, India. I am attaching my resume below.

Shivesh Rane S.M.ASCE
    Valpoi GA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Shivesh-s Resume-9.pdf   47 KB 1 version

• 47.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Shivesh,

Your resume's format is interesting and appealing.  My suggestions are as follows:

• Remove any "percentages" from the descriptions - I do not think these are necessary and might be interpreted differently by employers.  
    • Add more writing to your interships as they will attract employers.  You can remove the academic project to gain space if necessary.
    • Your objective describes you but does not explain what type of position you are looking for in what career - design, construction etc.?
    • I was confused why an online internship is listed under courses and not internships?

Best of luck to you.

Mike

Chief of Construction
    Port Auth Of NY & NJ
    Jersey City NJ

• 48.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Hi Shivesh, 

This is overall a good resume!

A few suggestions on ways you can further improve your resume:

• If you are submitting this online for job applications, I would change your format to a more applicant tracking system (ATS) friendly format.
    • For Education, I would add an anticipated graduation date.
    • For the skills section, you could add what version of the program i.e. AutoCAD 2020.
    • For your internships, I would love to see more on the quantitative side. For example, what construction projects were you working on? Was it 2 story residential? 30 story skyscraper? For further improving your experience bullet points, I recommend reading the following ASCE Article, specifically section 3 about "Telling, not showing": https://collaborate.asce.org/careerbydesign/blogs/stephanie-slocum1/2020/03/05/top-7-mistakes-civil-engineers-make-on-resumes
    • I would love to see how your problem-solving skills and acute attention to detail have helped you in your internships or even your academic project!
    • I agree with Mike – I would move the virtual internship over with the other internships and include a few bullet points about your impact and tasks during that internship. 

Transportation Engineer
    Jenkintown PA

• 49.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-24-2023 08:06 AM
      |   view attached

Hello My name is Brayan Armijo, I  am from the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, I am currently creating a resume to apply for an intership program

thanks

Brayan Armijo S.M.ASCE
    Student
    La Joya TX

Attachment(s)

• 50.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-27-2023 08:02 AM

Hi Brayan,

I am going to suggest that you change a few things. 

You might want to consider having a resume with fewer colors, since these may not print correctly at many companies. I respect wanting to stand out, but its okay if you leave your resume black and white. 

Your introduction is good, but I would save it for speaking to someone face to face at an interview. Ideally, it might be best to keep your resume at 1 page since you are still early into your career. Most people are lazy when it comes to reading entry-level resumes and will not want to look at student resumes that are more than one page. I also would say the same thing about the blue column on the right. Save all of that for interview conversation.

I think your sections can be laid out as follows:

Objective - 

Make this a one-sentence line explaining who you are in terms of what each company you apply to is looking for. For example "Freshman Engineering student looking to support {company x} as an intern in their office tasks and field work".

Next, can be your Experience section, which you already have in the right spot. 

I think you can expand more about your volunteer position at the Food Bank. Explain what skills you have used which would be useful in an internship as well. For example (if this is true), you could write the following:

"Coordinated with other volunteers, developed food distribution strategies, and communicated bilingually with recipients to ensure successful delivery of donated food to those in need".  Writing a sentence this way shows a potential employer that you understand the need for things like planning and team work and communication and that you have done those things already.

Being a tutor is good experience to list as well. Consider what I mentioned above and try to write about the experience a little differently. For example, "explained how to solve problems multiple ways to adapt to each student's preferred communication style"

For your experience with ASCE, try to list more specific things you have helped out with. It is good that you listed "assisted in the design of the ASCE logo for school shirts". Try to list more things like that if you have any more. 

Under your Education section, lets make some more changes:

If you have any projects you worked on in class, or any lab exercises where you learned about an engineering concept, write those down here. 

I would keep the Research Project you listed, as well as your Deans List mention. I think I would remove the other bullets and replace those with more projects you have completed or learned about in class. If I recall correctly, all of the other bullet points were covered in other areas of your resume already, no need to repeat them. 

I am interested about your bullet related to forklifts. Was this part of a job you had? If so, maybe move this line to your "Experience" section and explain less about the pallets and more about how you supported the company as a whole.

Lastly, under "Languages" - you can just say "Fluent in both English and Spanish". That will be enough for others to understand your skill level. 

You made a good first effort at creating a resume, and I think with the tips I listed above, it can become shorter and even more targeted towards what employers want to see from students. Good luck!

Christopher Seigel P.E., M.ASCE
    Civil Engineer

• 51.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-24-2023 09:53 AM
      |   view attached

Hello! My name is Jose Marquez, I am from the University of Texas at Arlington. I wish to better my resume for the pursuit of a summer internship.

Side note: On my resume, I have listed underneath my Bachelor's that I am in Fast Track, a Master's Advancement program. Should I indicate that it's for my Master's? As in, "Master's Fast Track Program". I had not done so because the line on which this information lies would look unsightly with its addition and the addition of "Expected Grad Date for Master's: Dec 2024". Not sure if there's another way to format it.

Thank you for your guidance!

Jose Marquez S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Arlington, TX

Jose Marquez S.M.ASCE
    Grand Prairie TX

Attachment(s)

• 52.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Hi Jose,

To answer the question about your Master's, I agree with you that it would be a good thing to note somewhere. And I appreciate your desire to keep the formatting neat. One option may be to simply shorten each line. For example, on my own resume, it is laid out as follows:

MS Civil Engineering (May 2015) – Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ (GPA 3.91)
    BS Civil Engineering (May 2013) - Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ

Maybe this will work for you as well?

I don't think the term "fast track" matters as much as knowing you are already essentially enrolled in a masters program as well. 

I actually do not have much to add to your resume. It is very neat and easy to read, as well as being laid out very well. All of your sections seem appropriate and are laid out in an order that I myself prefer (work before volunteering before academic.) You have already done an excellent job with this resume. 

One small suggestion might be to consider adding one line at the top called "Objective" . In this section, you can write one brief sentence personalizing each application to each company you apply to. One example might be "Civil Engineering soon-to-be graduate seeking to begin career by contributing technical and programmatic knowledge, skills, and support to [insert type of work] undertaken by [company name here].

Great job and good luck!

Civil Engineer

• 53.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-25-2023 08:50 AM
      |   view attached

Hello!

My name is Alexander Hu and I am currently a freshman at the University of California, Davis, pursuing a B.S. in Civil Engineering. I plan on applying for internships in the near future and would greatly appreciate any feedback on how I could improve my resume!

Sincerely,

Alexander Hu S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Davis CA

Alexander Hu S.M.ASCE
    Student
    San Ramon CA

Attachment(s)

• 54.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

|   view attached

Hi! Thank you for the opportunity to submit my resume for review. I appreciate your time and input. I am a Sr. Engineer looking to expand and grow my career into more of a people's role (such as project management, team management, business development, leadership and development), while using my technical background as a solid foundation. Thanks!

Juan Meneses EIT, A.M.ASCE
    Engineer
    Fort Collins CO

Attachment(s)

• 55.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-27-2023 12:20 PM

Juan,

I would remove most or all of the content on the first page under the "Lead Engineer" section. Anyone can say, for example, that they have excellent communication skills or that they are a creative problem solver. Instead of telling them that, demonstrate that with how you describe your specific work experience.

Keep in mind that a resume should be easily skimmed. When you get too wordy, someone is likely to miss key info that gets lost in the amount of text.

If you are wanting to move more into management, I recommend getting your PE as soon as possible. If I were hiring for a PM role, I would be much more likely to consider a PE over an EIT.

With your level of experience, I would highly recommend condensing your resume down to a single page. Use your resume to catch someone's eye and show why you should be a candidate. Use your interview to get into the details.

Tulsa, OK

• 56.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

|   view attached

Hello! My name is Alexander Hu and I am currently a freshman at the University of California, Davis, pursuing a B.S. in Civil Engineering. I am planning on looking for internships in the near future and would appreciate any feedback on my resume and possible improvements. Sorry if this shows up as a repost; my first submission from several hours ago never appeared as a reply.

Sincerely,

Alexander Hu S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Davis CA

Alexander Hu S.M.ASCE
    Student
    San Ramon CA

Attachment(s)

• 57.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Hi Alexander. 

You have a good resume. It is clean and easy to read. Your format is good and the sentences are short and to the point. There are not many changes I'd suggest and these are up to you. 

You can consider an "Objective" section at the top stating your goal. In this section you can personalize the resume to each company you apply to. For example "Civil Engineering rising sophomore interested in applying academic skills to support [x] at [company y]".

If you have any software skills yet, that could also be a line to add above "Awards and Interests".

If you feel you are short on space, you can remove the line about where you went to High School. Personally I do not think it is necessary.

Good job and good luck!

Civil Engineer

• 58.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-26-2023 09:14 AM
      |   view attached

Hello!
    My Name is Izz Ad-Din Jamal and i am a freshly graduated Civil Engineer. 

Izz Al-Din Dweikat S.M.ASCE
    Nablus

Attachment(s)

pdf
    CV_Izz.pdf   212 KB 1 version

• 59.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-27-2023 12:20 PM

The main thing I would correct are a few spelling/capitalization errors. 

"Interests" in the Hobbies/Interests heading
    "Video Games" in the Hobbies/Interests section

Capitalize "Capable" in the introduction

Other than that, I think it looks good for a new grad resume. Since I'm mostly familiar with the resume expectations within the United States, you might show your resume to a local engineer within ASCE for any other feedback based on local/regional expectations.

Tulsa, OK

• 60.  RE: ASCE Resume Workshop - Spring 2023

Posted 03-26-2023 09:28 AM

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. The coaches will respond to all resumes by the end of the day on Monday, March 27th. This thread is now closed. Any additional resumes will not be published or reviewed. We hope to have another workshop in the fall so please check back for that and other ASCE virtual events.

Once you incorporate the feedback, I encourage you to share your resume in ASCE Career Connections.

I also encourage you to check out other resources here in Career by Design. Find more information on crafting a civil engineering resume

Tirza Austin
    Senior Manager, Online Community
    American Society of Civil Engineers
    1801 Alexander Bell Drive
    Reston, VA 20191