Professional and Career Topics

• 1.  Type 1L Cement

Posted 07-20-2022 01:07 PM
    In a recent concrete paving sumbittal I received, there was a letter attached which stated the following:
    "Please note all local cement suppliers are ceasing production of Type I & Type II cement to meet greenhouse gas emission limits. All cement will be Type 1L meeting ASTM C595 specifications moving forward."

Does anyone know of any changes that we should make on our end with this upcoming change as we specify pavement (besides the cement type)?

------------------------------
    Heidi C. Wallace, P.E., M.ASCE
    Tulsa, OK

• 2.  RE: Type 1L Cement

Posted 07-21-2022 10:04 AM
    Hello,
    In my view use of 1L cement type ( Portland limestone cement)   required very less significant changes in mix designs. However one needs to change the safety data sheet because this cement when mix with water create a calcium hydroxide solution. It splashed in eyes or skin. So avoid contact with eyes and skin. The SDS should be consulted prior to use this cement.
    SS

Sukhjinder Singh CP, M.ASCE
    Engineer
    Patiala

• 3.  RE: Type 1L Cement

Posted 07-22-2022 10:36 AM
    Heidi, it would depend somewhat on what your pavement specifications currently contain or do not contain.  The industry seems to be moving more toward environmentally friendlier cement products across the board, and with that I see more performance specifications vs. the old school prescriptive specifications.  Have you read ASTM C595, and if so, does anything need to be adjusted in your pavement specifications to accommodate this new cement type?

Douglas Hula P.E., M.ASCE
    Geotechnical Engineer
    Traverse City MI

• 4.  RE: Type 1L Cement

Posted 07-25-2022 10:05 AM
    If sulfate resistance is needed, there are other limits on the mix design and possibly other cement types required.

Brad Watson P.E., M.ASCE
    Senior Engineer
    Freese & Nichols Inc
    Alvarado TX