Discussion: View Thread

  • 1.  MS in Civil Engineering (Water Resources Department)

    Posted 06-27-2017 03:20 PM
    Which country will be best to do MS in Civil Engineering (Water Resources Management/ Hydrology/ Hydroinformatics) considering a job opportunity in the country after the course completion. 

    PS : I have completed my under-gradation in Civil Engineering from India and currently working as a Graduate Water Engineer in one of the top international engineering consultancy firm. At the time of joining the course (September, 2018), I will be having 2 years of professional experience.

    Your experiences and insights will be highly valuable to me!

    Thanks a lot.

     -Saurabh Singh

  • 2.  RE: MS in Civil Engineering (Water Resources Department)

    Posted 06-28-2017 11:23 AM
    The answer to this question will vary by your career goals. Two questions to ask yourself:
    1. What is your dream area of specialty in the water area? (i.e. if you could specialize in ANYTHING, what would you pick?)
    2. Which MS program or program(s) would allow you to study under the top researcher in that area? 

    Once you've answered these, only then should you consider the country. The one exception is if you have some strong personal reasons for remaining in your homeland. If there are multiple "top researchers" in different countries to consider, you can use your geographical preferences to limit the list. You will find that if you are able to study under the top researcher or school in that area in the world those credentials will be helpful regardless of which country you ultimately choose to work.

    Stephanie Slocum P.E., M.ASCE
    Associate Principal
    Hope Furrer Assoc Inc
    State College PA

  • 3.  RE: MS in Civil Engineering (Water Resources Department)
    Best Answer

    Posted 06-28-2017 11:23 AM
    It is often best to get the degree from the country in which you want to work.  The process is a lot simpler in many countries to become accredited professionally if you went through their system.  Many universities in other countries are accredited in accordance with some standard.  If that standard is the same standard used in country in which you wish to work, you may only need an expensive translation, and a transcript.

    I will give you an example.  When I moved from Canada to the US, both English speaking countries, and both accredited under the same standard for engineering schools, I applied to the Tx PE board, provided them with a certified transcript in English, and was asked to provide a translated transcript through a transcription company.   The translation took 4 months and $1,000, and came out with a 1 page letter that stated the transcript was valid, and the classes were equivalent to the requirements at a US university in Texas.

    If you wish to be an international engineer, get your credentials in your home base, and slowly get your professional certifications in other places as you work there.  I know England's registration system is a lot more difficult to get through, and I am not sure even after 25 years as a Texas US and Ontario Canada PE whether I would be able to qualify.  If you want to do things in England, I suggest you start their process earlier in your career, when you might not mind spending 4 years supervising roadway and utility construction in the field.   There are a great many other countries that accept engineer registrations from the US and England at equivalent face value.

    Good luck.

    Dwayne Culp Ph.D., P.E., P.Eng, M.ASCE
    Culp Engineering, LLC
    Richmond TX

  • 4.  RE: MS in Civil Engineering (Water Resources Department)

    Posted 06-28-2017 11:23 AM

    I don't think the country in which you study is as important as the reputation of the school at which you study in the engineering profession.  I'm an alumni of the University of Missouri – Rolla (Missouri University of Science and Technology).  UMR / MUS&T has always had several international students pursuing their education in the US.  The faculty also has several members who are international.  Check the website and see if the school meets your objectives.

  • 5.  RE: MS in Civil Engineering (Water Resources Department)

    Posted 06-28-2017 01:58 PM
    Dear Saurabh, 

    As an international researcher I suggest you to check the universities in Canada, Australia, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Netherlands. There are several good universities and programs in each country. These countries have good working permit policies after graduation. I hope this helps.

    Best of luck,

    Nur Orak Ph.D., A.M.ASCE
    Postdoc Associate
    Carnegie Mellon University
    Pittsburgh PA

  • 6.  RE: MS in Civil Engineering (Water Resources Department)

    Posted 07-17-2017 03:34 PM
    Dr. Orak,
    Please consider passing the notes and message below forward.....thank you!

    Women are significantly underrepresented as faculty.

    ADVANCE: Increasing the Participation and Advancement of Women in Academic Science and Engineering Careers (ADVANCE)




    ADVANCE: Increasing the Participation and Advancement of Women in Academic Science and Engineering Careers (ADVANCE)


    Letter of Intent Deadline Date: August 9, 2017

    Adaptation Letter of Intent


    Program Guidelines: NSF 16-594


    Despite significant increases in the proportion of women pursuing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) doctoral degrees, women are significantly underrepresented as faculty, particularly in upper ranks, and in academic administrative positions, in almost all STEM fields.  The problems of recruitment, retention, and advancement that are the causes of this underrepresentation vary by discipline and across groups of women faculty . . .


    More at https://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=5383&WT.mc_id=USNSF_39&WT.mc_ev=click









    William Hayden Ph.D., P.E., CP, F.ASCE
    Management Quality By Design, Inc.
    Amherst NY

  • 7.  RE: MS in Civil Engineering (Water Resources Department)

    Posted 07-19-2017 02:57 PM
    I would look to Australia or Canada
    Australia and Canada have many fine universities but a relatively small population for the country.  Therefore, they probably have openings for graduate students, especially from India.  I would imagine it would be easy to get a visa to study in Australia, and probably to get a work visa to work there after getting a MS in civil engineering. Same for Canada.

    Divyansh Thakkar S.M.ASCE
    Bhopal MP