Professional and Career Topics

Expand all | Collapse all

Employee Performance Ratings

• 1.  Employee Performance Ratings

Posted 07-07-2022 08:30 PM

Has anyone encountered an employee performance rating system in which management requires scores to fit an expected distribution, such as a bell curve? 

------------------------------
    Bill McAnally
    ENGINEER
    Columbus MS

• 2.  RE: Employee Performance Ratings

Posted 07-08-2022 09:55 AM
    I have not run into that, but I don't think it is ever right to force people to fit along a bell curve. If everyone is meeting expectations, no one should be ranked in a way that they appear to be failing or underperforming.
    I've known people that had college professors grade on a bell curve, and it seems ridiculous to me. If everyone does their best to learn the material and earns an A, why should some of them be given a C?

I think any performance review for an individual should be independentof how others in the group are performing. I wonder if that kind of ranking system squashes employees' desire to work as a team...
    I know in a bell curve graded course I would be much less likely to feel motivated to help other students that were confused.

Statistics are nice, but sometimes a given sample won't fit a nice little standard curve. I don't think we should manipulate assessments of people's performance to make them fit a predetermined distribution. 

Heidi C. Wallace, P.E., M.ASCE
    Tulsa, OK

• 3.  RE: Employee Performance Ratings

Posted 07-11-2022 10:59 AM
    In my opinion, that is a very naïve take for two reasons. First, the bell curve is more for the manager than the employees. If Manager A is a tougher reviewer than Manager B, is it fair that Manager A's employees be rated below Manager B's? What are the odds of everyone in Manager A's group 'deserving' a C? Wouldn't that point to a problem?
    Second, if everyone gets and A (or a C, or a B...), it is not much of an evaluation. Remember how bell curves