Hi,In my previous organization I worked on a completely Paper Less project which had no drawings and just the model as a deliverable. We used to call it Steel DMT "Direct Model Transfer"The Model was our Main deliverable with Material Handling plans and every other detail also added to it. It was used not only by the fabricator but also by the Construction company to detail their Temporary supports and scaffolding, The Heavy haul contractor to plan heavy lifting and crane/SPMT movement and also by the Client.Getting the building officials to use the model as a approval document was tough, but they agreed and we would print the cover drawing that is the isometric view of the model and stamp it as approval document. The drawings were available with the fabricator anyways for fabrication (they can directly extract through Tekla), Incase we need them, just that we did not need to develop engineering IFC Drawings and we only IFC'd the model.We used SP3D as the main software and everything was input in the model as attribute. Since we did not have drawings available for making small changes, We froze our standard drawings and standard connection details with the fabricator to smoothen the whole process. The good thing was that connection design was in the scope of the fabricator as well and we Just had to review his connection design. Connection tags were marked on the member ends and we would furnish excel sheets with the force markups.Fabrication model review came in multiple cycles with first one just having the main members cut to Fabrication length With connection details marked in 4 weeks and the second model with Grating, handrail and all other details at 6 Weeks. Comments and responses to comments were also recorded through BiMSight and it proved to be a very handy tool in maintaining records. Multiple modules could be viewed singly or together as per needs.Inter departmental reviews and Squad checks were also done by sharing SP3D sessions or 3D PDF.The whole effort greatly increased the detailing and modeling efforts since we had to model even gussets and everything in the model, but it reduced errors at the end by a big margin and also allowed us to always be in control of model and materials from the very start. It is definitely gonna be the desired way of execution in the future.
There were lots of challenges but it was an all new way of doing things and a great learning experience.Let me know if you have some specific queries in this regard would be glad to answer.