Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Concrete Structural Design

Posted 07-17-2022 10:45 AM
    Hi  everyone. I want to develop my design skills as I didn't get the opportunity to work with a design consultancy. I want to learn more about structural concrete designs and connections on my own. Do you have any recommendations about any books, software and other resources I can use to help teach myself?
    Thanks.

------------------------------
    Abuelgasim Mohamed S.M.ASCE
    Student
    Sahafa

• 2.  RE: Concrete Structural Design

Posted 07-18-2022 09:27 AM
    "Reinforced Concrete Design" from Wang and Salmon.
    "Vorlesungen ueber Massivbau" parts 1 to 6 from Leonhardt.  I went to a German university.  These books are a little dated but I still reference them regularly.  I don't believe these were ever translated to English.

Matthew Smith P.E., M.ASCE
    Senior Principal
    Borchen

• 3.  RE: Concrete Structural Design

Posted 08-31-2022 01:53 PM
    Please start with the books. Software is a tool for those familiar enough with the fundamentals and experienced in design. Software designers offer disclaimers and there is always a user forum where they discuss the software's shortcomings. Visit or look at a university's curriculum online. Try to identify the books they are using for their classes.

There are also some continuing education courses that are also relatively inexpensive. I cannot remember if they require licensure to register for the sites. They offer specials for some 1 to 3 hour courses. If not interested in collecting the pdh or ceu credits, it may not matter.

James Williams P.E., M.ASCE
    Principal/Owner
    POA&M Structural Engineering, PLC
    Yorktown, VA

• 4.  RE: Concrete Structural Design

Posted 09-06-2022 07:54 AM

Dear Abuelgasim, it is great to know that you are venturing in the structural design of reinforced concrete.

Have you tried our Access Engineering database? There are plenty of tools and books to read and perform exercises. If you use the keywords "Design concrete structures", you will get access to the following texts:

• Reinforced Concrete Structures: Analysis and Design, 2nd Edition
      David A. Fanella, Ph.D., S.E., P.E., F.ASCE, F.ACI
    • Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete Buildings, 1st Edition
      Jack Moehle, Ph.D.
    • 2021 International Building Code Illustrated Handbook, 1st Edition
      Douglas W. Thornburg, AIA, CBOChris Kimball, SE, MCP, CBO
    Regards,
    AG

Andres Guzman D.Eng., MEng, Ing., M.ASCE
    Associate Professor
    UNIVERSIDAD DEL NORTE
    Barranquilla

• 5.  RE: Concrete Structural Design

Posted 09-13-2022 02:33 AM
    Dear Abuelgasim, For your case the best book out there is Structrural Concrete : Theory and Design by M.Nadim Hassound and Akthem Al- Manaseer. A lot of practical examples for you to start.

Wilson Manu Ph.D., Aff.M.ASCE
    York ON