Discussion Thread

• 1.  Recommendations on Applying for a Master's Program

Posted 08-25-2022 02:45 PM
    ASCE has been a great knowledge enhancing experience for me. Thank you to the society for putting in so much work for students like us. I just need some help as I am applying for my master's in civil engineering in the coming year of 2023. If you can help me with a recommendation that will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

------------------------------
    Khurram Shafiq Aff.M.ASCE
    Student
    Aligarh

• 2.  RE: Recommendations on Applying for a Master's Program

Posted 08-28-2022 10:25 AM
    Congratulations on thinking ahead. The simplest approach is to apply for a master's program at your undergraduate school, if they have one. There are pros and cons to continuing at the same school and we can discuss those as needed. Searching for a school that meets your interests is more work but can be rewarding. Look for schools where your interests form a major part of their curriculum and research. Study their web pages and write to those that most interest you, asking about opportunities. Meeting and talking with existing grad students is revealing. Are courses listed in the catalog but seldom offered? Are the professors good with students or do they just use them as lackeys? Apply to more than one school. In deciding which school to attend, remember that the personal relationship between professor and student is extremely important.

William McAnally Ph.D., P.E., D.CE, D.NE, F.ASCE
    ENGINEER
    Columbus MS

• 3.  RE: Recommendations on Applying for a Master's Program

Posted 08-29-2022 10:29 AM
    Khurram:

I will share some thoughts about graduate school which may, or may not, apply to you.

As a naive first-generation college student in his senior year of engineering studies, I received this master's degree advice about from a caring professor:

1) Apply to what you consider the best graduate program for your area of interest. For me, Johns Hopkins University.  (also have a Plan B). 

2) Try to also attend a school far from the part of the country in which you were raised. For me, the midwest U.S.

I did, it worked, made a big difference.

This is one of those "roll the dice" situations in which you have nothing to lose, so much to gain.

Stu

Stu Walesh PhD, PE
    Consultant - Teacher - Author
    219-242-1704
    www.HelpingYouEngineerYour
    Future.com

• 4.  RE: Recommendations on Applying for a Master's Program

Posted 09-08-2022 05:58 PM
    Depending on your goals, budget, location, etc. you may look into online masters degree options. I've heard there are some quality programs for a lot less investment that work well for those that need the flexibility of a remote option.

I got my Masters degree in Mexico. It was supposed to be in person, but with the pandemic and some other circumstances with the campus, we ended up doing the whole thing online even though most of us were there in town.

Heidi C. Wallace, P.E., M.ASCE
    Tulsa, OK